Saturday, May 31, 2014

I am a feminist.


Sexual harassment bothers me. Even in the mildest forms, it bothers me deeply. You know why? Because I can't do anything about it. Trust me I've tried. I have been trying for years. But there is really very little you can do about it. 

My pondering, reading and conversations about this issue only magnified the problem. I was now facing a bigger monster: Sexism. And guess what? I can't do anything about it. 

And so, I have decided to channel my years of frustration and dreams of change into a title. I am now a feminist. Always have been actually, but now I will begin calling myself a feminist. 

I have always had strong opinions about feminism, but never before have I been so scared. Scared for my safety and future. Scared for the kind of world I will be raising children in. Scared that I will grow old with the words "If only.." gnawing away at the back of my mind. 

So a few days ago, I put my thoughts into action, and my feminism ball has started rolling. And I hope that I will make a difference. I hope you will too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment